Monday, January 2, 2012

Giving Back: Volunteering and Money

I've always been a big fan of volunteering, probably starting as a kid with my church. Since then, I've done a lot of volunteer projects, both short- and long-term. I've built houses in Mexico, moved to Nicaragua to teach school in a rural village with La Esperanza Granada, spent almost 4 years tutoring in an after school program with YTP Seattle, am a volunteer advisor at University of Washington's Kappa Alpha Theta house, and am a member of the Seattle Women's Philanthropic Investment Group (WPIG).

But, perhaps since I volunteer so much, I've sort of done that in lieu of donating cold hard cash to my favorite organizations. An organization can have all the volunteers in the world, but without money, they'll be out of business in no time.

Perhaps I'm a little leery of how organizations spend donated money, or I feel more connected when I'm the one actually doing the pavement. But either way, the bottom line is that I haven't been good about ponying up some cash on anything more than a sporadic, infrequent basis.

I think now's the time. I'm going to chat with the Mr. today and come up with a monthly amount that we're comfortable donating, and let him pick where he'd like half of it donated, and I'll pick where the other half goes. (Too bad I didn't think of this plan in time to apply it towards our 2011 taxes, but oh well!)

What do you think, readers? Volunteering or donating money? Certain organizations? I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...